Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Just When Africa's Luck was Changing

Blog (Red) had a link to this article about the impact of the global credit crisis on Africa and it really hit home. I've been worried about my job situation as a result of the economic downturn. Since I work on contract, I have no guarantees of a job when I return from parental leave. We are lucky and have been saving for a long time to do this, so we have resources to last a while if we need to.

Africa had hoped to weather the storm of the global credit crisis, but it has been hit hard as well, as foreign investment is drying up. For Africa, this crisis is the difference between subsistence living and long-term sustainable economic growth. For me, it is the difference between one car or two. It really puts perspective on how lucky we are to have been born in Canada.

The article has caused me to think about how I could invest in Africa to move them closer to their long term goals. KIVA is an organization that provides micro credit to small business owners in impoverished nations. I am going to go look to see if there is a business owner like myself that needs my support.

Supporting others
Bright Star Dreams

2 comments:

Ranavan said...

Kiva is a fantastic organization!!

We have been lending money for about 3 years now and we both feel it is one of the best ways to give back.

Great post and thanks for reminding me that we have it good here and we all need to remember that we are ONE world and need to help each other so we all live the good life eventually.

hazel said...

Yup, Kiva is wonderful.

Thanks for the article link.