Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Let Me Eat Cake!

Today is my birthday. For most people that means cake, but for me, being both gluten and lactose intolerant, cake is not part of my diet. This year, I really wanted to have a chocolate cake with icing for my birthday. This is a tall order, but Homer was bound and determined to deliver.

We have found a great bakery in Cochrane that makes the best gluten free baked goods that I have ever had. The GF Patiserserie was started by mother and daughter and it is the only bakery I know of where it is safe for celiacs to enter and smell the freshly baked goods. Without a doubt their products are better than the non-gluten free baked goods at most bakeries. You would have no idea that their products are gluten free. Many of GF's products are also lactose free, but not many of their cakes. They do have a vanilla one, but I wanted chocolate.

GF does sell a gluten free flour mix, so Homer picked some up the last time we were in. He also found gluten free icing sugar, and treated milk and butter with lactaid drops. He picked up fresh vanilla bean and Bernard Callebaut cocoa. Yesterday, he spent the day in the kitchen making mini cakes until he found just the right mixture to make a fat and sugar free vanilla / chocolate double layer cake. He then added a chocolate icing (it contained the butter and the icing sugar, so not fat or sugar free, but it's my birthday so calories don't count today). The result was amazing!


He also made me two incredible vegetarian curries for dinner last night. I am so fortunate to have a husband who wants to ensure, that despite my intolerances, I can still enjoy a fabulous meal for my birthday.

Celebrate your
Bright Star Dreams

9 comments:

Ranavan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Let you eat as much gluten and lactose free cake as you can!!!

CinnamonOpus said...

THAT? Is so lovely. That Homer is a keeper.

Happy Birthday!

Karen said...

Happy Birthday! The cake looks yummy!!

hazel said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Homer is an amazing husband. We might need a bake off between him and Rana's Muffin Man :-)

H.Peter said...

Happy Birthday.

You got a "Celiac Husband". Great guy!

Thanks for the review of GFP

Dianne said...

HOw could I be so late??

Happy birthday!

The Hattons... said...

WOW! Homer is amaaaazing! Happy Belated Birthday!

Single PAP said...

so sweet of him! and the cake looks positively yummy!

Robynhood said...

Hi, I just found your blog... I come from a family of celiacs and I have just seen the new Betty Crocker Gluten free chocolate cake, brownie, vanilla cake and cookie mixes that come out next month.. apparently they are awesome!! Worth checking out for sure.. I think you can probably do a google search for them.

Looking forward to reading more of your blog, and happy birthday to you!!!

:) Robyn