Above is the "before" picture of the basement windows. Oh how I loved my lilies.
Here is the "after" picture - I guess I have some gardening to do in the spring. Homer moved the lilies to a safe place in the late fall, so we should be able to have a lily garden again, just not here. We may have to give the ones in the middle some TLC after the trauma of the digging around them. We also have to replace all the "drip guards" and "flashing" on the siding and put in permanent window wells. (Hey aren't I just sounding like a contractor now! Holmes on Homes beware. LOL!)
Here is a view of one of the windows from the inside - It lets in way more light than the original windows and I am pretty sure a fireman can fit through it with all his gear. That was one of my criteria for selecting a window. The stacks of 2' x 2' "tiles" are for the subfloor. These tiles come with 1" OVRX foam insulation on the bottom (according to Homer - heck it just looks styrofoam to me), so the floor will stay nice and toasty warm.
Here are all the 2x4 boards that will (hopefully) soon become the walls around the furnace room. The stuff behind it, is what is left of all the junk from our basement after the great purge. We thought we might use our old king size head and foot board in the new bedroom, but I think king size is going to be too big. If anyone is in the market for a king size head and foot board, let me know. Oh and we have the old basement windows too, but they are no longer code for a basement bedroom. Although, I am hoping to build a playhouse in our back yard and maybe they could be put to use in that. (OK, I know I am getting a little ahead of myself and who am I kidding - Homer would be doing the building, I would just be doing the "design" and quality control jobs)
The wood has to acclimatize for about a week, so the work will likely start on Saturday. Three more days of freedom!
Build your
Bright Star Dreams
2 comments:
I have Teh Jealousy for your basement work. I so very much want to finish our basement, but I fear is might require too much work. Our basement is in desperate need of another window, as well as a newer, bigger one where the existing one lies. And then it needs the floor above it raised about 8 inches. (Seriously. We have a sunken living room. Stupid decision.) And then, the ductwork all has to be fixed, from the rat's nest it currently is to something resembling neat and orderly. THEN? we can start thinking about electric and drywall.
So, possibly I will have to live vicariously through your basement, instead.
Cinn: we have to move our duct work around too. It is obvious that the electrical and plumbing was done on a "first come, first serve basis" rather than in a planned logical fashion. And we would have had both a sunken living room and dining room, but we requested that the builder to remove them from the plans. They gave us the funniest look when we asked, but boy am I glad we did.
Post a Comment