Friday, January 2, 2009

My Happiness Project

"There is no duty we so underrate as the duty of being happy. By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."

- Robert Louis Stevenson

"What everyone wants from life is continuous and genuine happiness."

- Baruch Spinoza

This was going to be my New Year's day post - but I got sidetracked with my book review. I enjoyed the book so much, I was bursting to share what I had learned. After finishing the post I realized it could have been split out over 3 or 4 posts, but I wanted to get on with this project - so you got it all at once. Who knew I had so much to say? I am usually the silent, shy one hiding in the corner.

I started this post with two quotes - normally I only start with one, but the topic of happiness is going to be a series of posts over the next few weeks - maybe months - we will see how it goes - so I thought such a project warranted two quotes. This project started started when I was drafting a single post that was a top ten list of steps that I could take to be happy, but when I hit over two pages I realized I had a lot to say on the subject. (again? - I must be hitting my stride)

I am still working on the individual posts - but I have identified topics for over 25 posts. Some of the items are obvious - some not so much. None of these are my own ideas, but are a composite of all the reading I have been doing. Hopefully you find this topic as positive as I do. What can be more positive than taking steps to be happy? I guess you could call this my New Year's resolution - my Happiness Project or maybe it is my "Don't Worry, Be Happy Project"

Each of the steps are things that I have either tried or want to try. I am planning to start with simple things. I cannot possibly tackle the whole list all at once. I am going to start with the basics and then add on when I am ready.

Here's a quote to go with that thought:

"We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee."

- Marian Wright Edelman

Here is my topic list so far. They are presented in the order that I identified them, not in any specific order or priority. I may not complete the posts in the order presented below and once the post is written the title may change. As well, I may end up adding to the list as I discover more steps to happiness.

  1. You are what you eat
  2. Get enough sleep
  3. Go to Bed Angry
  4. Be Satisfied
  5. Fake it, Until you Make it
  6. Show Gratitude
  7. Embrace Failure
  8. Resist temptation
  9. Give more than you take
  10. Dream
  11. Celebrate
  12. Communicate Effectively
  13. Take Action
  14. Spend time with Friends and Family
  15. Learn
  16. Teach
  17. Laugh
  18. Play
  19. Get Moving
  20. Happiness is a warm puppy
  21. Get out in the Sun
  22. Surround yourself with positive people
  23. Pamper Yourself
  24. Visualize yourself as happy
  25. Declutter
  26. Smell the roses
  27. Sing
  28. Get Dressed

May 2009 be your Happy New Year.

Pursue happiness to achieve your
Bright Star Dreams

Some of the resources I have been using to compile this list can be found at:
http://www.happiness-project.com/
http://zenhabits.net/



1 comment:

H.Peter said...

Good post. I like the plan. 28 points of discussion. That should keep you (and others) busy.

The ones I like, not necessarily in order:
#1, #2, #5, #10, #13, #16, #21,