Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Power of Effective Communication

“Men and women belong to different species and communications between them is still in its infancy.”

- Bill Cosby

How you communicate with your significant other can have an impact on both of your happiness. I know that I don't like it when Homer keeps badgering me about something and I am sure the feeling is mutual. While studies have shown that nagging does eventually work, in the long run this pestering will eat away at the heart of your relationship. Learning to communicate effectively with your spouse will go a long way to fostering a happy relationship.

I am definitely not an expert in this arena, so I did some searching on alternative ways to get what you want, without having to nag. Here are some of the suggestions that I found:
  1. Use non-verbal communication. Leaving the empty container on the counter rather than saying "Remember to pick up more shampoo"
  2. Use positive language and compliments rather than complaining. Ask for what you want rather than complaining about what you don't want. Say "I really enjoy it when we go for a walk. I would like to go for a walk later" instead of saying "We never go walking any more"
  3. Try to use moderate language rather than extremes. Use the word "often" or "sometimes" instead of "always" and use "rarely" instead of "never"
  4. Ask rather than demand. Ask "Will you have time to shovel the walks today?" rather than "Go out and shovel the walks before the neighbors get home"
  5. If the task gets done, but not to your standard, do not complain. If you want it done to your standards then you should do it yourself.
  6. Consider how to share the household tasks. In our house Homer is the cook and for the most part I do the laundry. Homer is a much better cook and I like my clothes folded and put away in a certain way. This split of the chores works best for us.

I am sure there are many more communication strategies that can be used as an alternative to the hounding your significant other. I know I am going to work harder at this to try to keep the peace in our house.

Communicate to reach your

Bright Star Dreams

1 comment:

tenne said...

It's amazing how learn to communicate as we get older. Who would have thought that throwing a book at your significant other's head isn't the best way to get them to talk?

Terri